Legal Australian Online Poker Sites for 2019
The Interactive Gambling Act of 2001 makes it an offence for some companies to market their online gambling services within Australia, however this law has often been circumvented by operators of poker sites and there are in fact large numbers of Australian poker players who freely access and play all manner of different poker games online.
With this in mind we would strongly advise anyone who is thinking of gambling online to first ensure that it is legal in their state or mainland territory to gamble online, as the laws surrounding what is and what isn’t legal can be somewhat confusing to players.
There are both good and bad online poker sites that are targeting Australian poker players and as such you should great take care in regards to where you do play as not all offshore licensed online poker sites will offer you the same level of protection in regards to game fairness and high levels of customer service.
List of Poker sites accepts player from Australia:
|Rank||Rooms||Expert Score||Signup Bonus||Play Now|
5/5 Read Review
106 user ratings
100% up to $1350
(T&C apply. 18+)
4.5/5 Read Review
110 user ratings
100% up to $1000
(T&C apply. 18+)
4.6/5 Read Review
112 user ratings
100% up to $1000
(T&C apply. 18+)
5/5 Read Review
108 user ratings
100% up to $1000
(T&C apply. 18+)
- List of Poker sites accepts player from Australia:
- How We Locate the Best Australian Poker Sites
- Why You Should Access One of Our Recommended Poker Rooms
- Other Features of Australian Poker Sites That We Review
- Frequently Asked Questions
- When is the best time to play online poker?
- Will I be playing professional poker players online?
- Are sports betting winnings taxable?
- What poker games can I play online?
- What type of software do I have to download?
- Are there any age restrictions in place?
- How can I be assured I am accessing fair games?
- What methods can I use to deposit?
- How quickly do poker sites payout?
- Can I play in free poker tournaments online?
- Legal Commonwealth Licensing Jurisdictions
- Other Gambling Jurisdictions
It’s the Interactive Gambling Act that makes it illegal for real money online poker to be offered or promoted within Australia. So, while gamers can participate in poker with demo money, it’s not something that can be played any other way by residents within Australia. This means that real money poker is particularly off-limits.
That’s quite the shame, as poker has proven to be a very popular pastime for gamers in Australia. This remains as a legal gaming option in land-based casinos and poker halls, but outside of this, it’s not something that you’re able to participate in. What’s more, the legal variation of poker is not possible to play with real money, land-based or otherwise. The only possible way to access real money poker in the online world is to visit and join an offshore site instead.
This is not an act that is considered illegal by Australian law, meaning that gamers may easily access offshore poker rooms online. Of course, this is something that foreign-based sites have taken advantage of, with many of them catering to players from within Australia and even allowing them to deposit and gamble in Australian dollars, too.
How We Locate the Best Australian Poker Sites
Anyone wishing to join and play poker at an online site shouldn’t just wade into the area without taking precautions. The online poker scene is much like anything else around – there’s always people willing to scam you if they can do so. In the same vein, there are always online poker operators looking to take advantage of unknowing gamers.
It is for this reason that we have taken it upon ourselves to locate the very best poker rooms catering to online Australian players. That’s not just us selecting sites at random from a mixed bag. We have actually experienced the poker rooms and discovered which ones are the best for Australia’s poker fans. Thorough reviews of these sites have also been conducted, ensuring that you can locate one that works nicely for you.
But how do we go about ranking these sites and deciding which ones are relevant enough for players? Well, there are certain criteria that we expect the best online poker sites to have.
To begin with, we always look for those poker rooms that are fully licensed and offering a regulated poker experience. Without regulations, an online poker room could just inevitably do whatever they like. This includes offering unfair poker, taking advantage of the money that you deposit into your account and holding withdrawals back from you. None of that will be pleasing to poker gamers. That’s why all of the recommendations from us are for licensed and regulated platforms. This way, you will at least know that your funds are safe, and you are experiencing fair gameplay.
It’s also relevant for us to know that the poker room is offering high-quality, appealing poker software, too. While some sites still utilise outdated software for you to play, we think that everyone should have the chance to enjoy the very best in poker games.
That’s why the very best recommendations will use modern, sophisticated software within their lobbies. You’ll be able to read about this in the reviews of the poker sites that we create.
Why You Should Access One of Our Recommended Poker Rooms
Let’s be fair here – there are numerous review sites out there that have conducted reviews of poker rooms. We’re not saying that there isn’t. However, very few of them go through the review process that we utilise. Not only do we join the poker sites, but we also deposit money, play the games, make withdrawals, speak with customer service, browse the sites etc. Our review team gets the full in-depth treatment of an online poker room catering to Australian players. This way, we’re fully aware of everything that the platform offers to its players.
Here are some of the reasons why we provide the best poker site reviews and recommendations:
- In-depth, experienced reviewers who become members of online poker rooms and detail things honestly and directly.
- All poker rooms that we review and recommend hold valid licences and follow strict regulations to ensure that you have an ideal gaming experience.
- We seek out the sites that offer up a variety of payment methods, customer support options, poker games and promotional offers.
- Only those poker rooms that offer up secure servers and data encryption technology via their sites will be recommended. This ensures that your funds are kept safe and away from the business’s funds, meaning that you can always withdraw what is rightfully yours.
Other Features of Australian Poker Sites That We Review
As well as the aforementioned features of an online poker room, there are one or two other additions that we watch out for at such platforms. It’s important for us to know that there’s a dedicated customer support team on hand for players to get in contact with at convenient times. Be this through live chat, email, telephone or social media, the support agents should be friendly and able to offer assistance in a helpful tone.
To add to that, online gamers are notorious for their desire to receive something for nothing. Poker players are no different, and this is where the bonuses and ongoing promotions come into play. The sites that we research and review come with some of the best rewards, including VIP programs for you to climb the ladders of. Without such perks, online poker rooms aren’t really making themselves competitive and you don’t get anything out of signing up at such. That’s why you’ll find that the best sites come with the best rewards alongside.
One last thing that we seek out from online poker rooms in our reviews, is whether they support a variety of payment methods or not. Credit and debit cards are one thing, but it’s important for Australian citizens to be able to make deposits and withdrawals with other options. This means country-specific possibilities like POLi for example, but also worldwide e-wallets, cryptocurrencies and more. Our recommendations will be for poker rooms with a variety of payment methods available to use.
Frequently Asked Questions
To enable you to get answers to any questions that you may have regarding playing poker online from within Australia, below you will find a large number of commonly asked questions surrounding this topic, and underneath all of the questions you will of course find the answers to each of them.
When is the best time to play online poker?
As all poker sites accept players from most countries of the world no matter when you log in, thanks to the many different time zones in the world there will always be more than enough opponents for you to take on at the poker tables or via the poker tournaments
Will I be playing professional poker players online?
Are sports betting winnings taxable?
What poker games can I play online?
What type of software do I have to download?
Are there any age restrictions in place?
If any poker site suspects you may be under the age of 18 then they will lock your account and will not reopen it until you have proven you are over the age of 18, so be prepared to supply identification documents if asked.
How can I be assured I am accessing fair games?
What methods can I use to deposit?
How quickly do poker sites payout?
Can I play in free poker tournaments online?
Legal Commonwealth Licensing Jurisdictions
- UK Gambling Commission – The UK Gambling Commission have a robust and solid set of standards that all poker sites holding one of their gambling licenses much adhere to, and as such you will find all poker sites licensed by this commission are of the highest standard.
- Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner – Gibraltar is another first class online poker site licensing authority and you will have no problems accessing games offered by this gambling commission.
- Alderney Gambling Control Commission – The Alderney Gambling Control Commission may not be the most well known commission around but they do have teeth and have issued gambling licenses to some of the best run and operated poker sites.
- Isle of Man Casino Control Commission – One final gambling commission that is worthy of note due to their documented high standards in the Isle of Man Casino Control Commission who take a nonsense approach to online gambling.
Other Gambling Jurisdictions
There are two other gambling jurisdictions that offer some form of license to online gambling sites, however these two countries do have something of a chequered past in regards to giving poker players any level of protection from sites they license, and as such you may be best off avoiding playing at any site licensed by either of these licensing authorities.
- Government of Curacao – You will find that licenses issued by the Government of Curacao are not really what are known as gambling licenses it is more of a license to do business and as such you should avoid playing at such sites.
- Antigua Directorate of Offshore Gambling – Once a major issuer of online poker and gambling site licenses Antigua is now a spent force due to their gambling licenses not offering players any recourse should thing go wrong for them at any site that holds one of them