Legal Australian Online Sports Betting Sites for 2020
It was in 2001 that the Interactive Gambling Act was passed into law in Australia and the aim of that law was to stop any type of gambling site operator from being able to advertise their gambling sites and their gambling services to Australian players.
Some online betting companies that operate legally from within Australia were deemed to still be legal thanks to several clauses in the Act, however what this law couldn’t and hasn’t really stopped is betting sites advertising and offering their services to Australian gamblers via the internet.
With this in mind many sports bettors based in Australia regularly place bets and wagers online, and to ensure that you do not have any problems should you start to bet online yourself we have compiled the following overview that will introduce you to some of the best and worst online gambling license issuers and licensing jurisdictions and also in the guide you will find a range of questions and answers surrounding betting online.
List of Betting sites accepts player from Australia:
|Rank||Rooms||Expert Score||Signup Bonus||Play Now|
4/5 Read Review
105 user ratings
visit bet365 for the latest offers
(T&C apply. 18+)
104 user ratings
100% up to €100
(T&C apply. 18+)
108 user ratings
Bet £10, Get £30 In Free Bets
(T&C apply. 18+)
111 user ratings
Bet £10, Get £30 In Free Bets
(T&C apply. 18+)
- List of Betting sites accepts player from Australia:
- What Does the Law State About Online Sports Betting?
- How We Find the Best Legal Australian Online Sportsbooks
- Why It’s Important to Find a Recommended Casino at Our Site
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What currencies can I bet with online?
- How soon can I cash out my winnings?
- What types of wagers can I place online?
- What age do I have to be to legally bet online?
- Can I use web wallets to deposit and withdraw?
- Which are the safest sports betting sites?
- Can I bet using my credit card online?
- When can I place a sports bet online?
- How does a betting site know I’m in Australia?
- Do I have to pay taxes on my winnings?
- Legal Commonwealth Licensing Jurisdictions
- Other Gambling Jurisdictions
While the Interactive Gambling Act of 2001 did have quite the impact on online casinos, poker rooms and some others, it wasn’t that way for the sports betting industry. This makes it stand out as being quite different to the other sectors, because it along with lotteries remain as the only legal (or at least partially legal) form of online gambling in Australia.
Sports betting in general is considered as a legal activity within Australia, both in land-based betting shops and at online sportsbooks. It’s actually one of the favourite pastimes of Australian residents, with many betting shops and retailers doing well from such. There aren’t any types of sports bets that are restricted as far as the law is concerned either, so regardless of if you like horse racing betting or if you prefer wagering on eGaming, there’s nothing in place to stop you from doing so.
What Does the Law State About Online Sports Betting?
The laws in Australia that were brought in under the aforementioned Interactive Gambling Act basically ban operators from providing real money online interactive gambling services in the country. This is why many of the online sportsbooks based within Australia may not provide in-play sports betting, as this is considered an interactive activity. Yet, if you place bets before a match or game takes place, then this isn’t something that is deemed illegal. So, you’re still able to participate in sports betting this way.
That’s a law that relates to both online and land-based sports betting, so you won’t find something possible in a brick-and-mortar betting shop as opposed to the online world. Now, according to Australian law, it’s also illegal for foreign-based online sportsbooks to provide live betting to Australian customers. Of course, this is a lot harder for the Australian government to enforce, as servers and operators working from outside the country aren’t really affected by laws created from within. To date, there haven’t been any such platforms that have been prosecuted for offering in-play betting to Australians, meaning that it’s quite likely that bettors from the country can still participate in such at those sites.
How We Find the Best Legal Australian Online Sportsbooks
As you can imagine, the fact that sports betting is considered as being an illegal activity has made it quite the scene of enthusiasm for both operators and gamblers. Many online operators cater to the Australian market, and some of them do it in a much more fair and regulated way than others. It’s important that you sign up and bet at one of the licensed and regulated sportsbooks, because if you don’t, then you leave yourself open to being scammed.
That’s why we have taken to reviewing legal online Australian sportsbooks – so that you can be sure you’re betting at a licensed one. While our team is reviewing sites, one of the primary factors to look for is whether or not it possesses a valid licence. If it doesn’t, then it’s highly likely that we won’t recommend it to sports bettors here. The same is true of the regulations set out by licensing bodies. If a platform is found to not be following the rules laid out before them, then we won’t recommend it as a good location for you to engage in sports betting.
When navigating through the masses of online sportsbooks, we also seek out the sites that feature a wide variety of sports and sporting events for you to bet on. It’s no good to us if we want to engage in some sports wagering only to find that the site we’ve joined doesn’t cater to that specific sport. So, we like to know that there’s a wide range of sporting events for us to bet on, from football and Aussie Rules all the way through to ice hockey and Rugby Union.
Of course, while a variety of sports events is one thing, there has to be certain features of the actual sportsbook in place as well. For example, we look for the platforms that feature a range of sports betting promotions to benefit from. This includes welcome bonuses and rewards, accas, weekly promotions and VIP programs, to name but a few. We all like getting rewarded at our chosen online sportsbook, so you’ll find some of the best offers by reading the reviews at our site.
Payments are another feature that we heavily look into while reviewing sportsbooks. We’ll always look for the platforms that offer speedy withdrawals. Not only that though, we want to know that we’ve got multiple options to both deposit and withdraw through. From cards and e-wallets through to prepaid vouchers and cryptocurrency possibilities, supported payment methods are something that we have another primary focus on here.
One final thing that we do to find the very best online Australian sportsbooks is ensure that they offer proper support options. From time to time, we all need help with one thing or another. If there’s a 24/7 support team that can be accessed in more than one way, it stands to reason that the sportsbook will be considered as one of the best. With such in place, you’re able to receive assistance at any time of the day and through a variety of methods. Advisers should always be prompt and friendly with their responses via live chat, telephone, email, social media or whatever other options a site provides.
Why It’s Important to Find a Recommended Casino at Our Site
- We will never provide you with incorrect or overhyped information regarding online sportsbooks. Everything that we write here is honest and offers the latest details of the best online sports betting sites.
- All of the sportsbooks that we speak of hold valid licences and adhere to regulations. This way, you won’t be scammed by the platforms that we suggest on our site.
- Sports betting platforms spoken of here also have a dedication towards Australian citizens, meaning that they offer high-quality, fair and simple sports betting options to such bettors.
- Your security and safety are paramount and at the top of our priorities for you. So, visiting and joining a sportsbook via this site will ensure that your funds remain safe and betting is done in a secure environment.
Frequently Asked Questions
What currencies can I bet with online?
How soon can I cash out my winnings?
What types of wagers can I place online?
What age do I have to be to legally bet online?
If any poker site suspects you may be under the age of 18 then they will lock your account and will not reopen it until you have proven you are over the age of 18, so be prepared to supply identification documents if asked.
Can I use web wallets to deposit and withdraw?
Which are the safest sports betting sites?
Can I bet using my credit card online?
When can I place a sports bet online?
Be aware though that not all sports betting sites offer these new In Play betting markets, so you may have to have a hunt around for sites that do, and when accessing these types of betting markets you are going to be able to place a wager up until the dying minutes of any sporting event.
How does a betting site know I’m in Australia?
Do I have to pay taxes on my winnings?
Legal Commonwealth Licensing Jurisdictions
- UK Gambling Commission – One of the most robust gambling license issuers is the UK Gambling Commission, and every single betting site they have issued licenses to operate to the highest industry standards and each of them is closely regulated.
- Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner – Gibraltar as had a long tradition in regards to online betting and online gambling site regulation and you are unlikely if ever to run into any problems when betting at a site holding one of their online gambling licenses.
- Alderney Gambling Control Commission – Many online gambling related websites have chosen to become licensed in Alderney as this is another first class gambling jurisdiction and one that operates to the highest standards in regards to fairness and integrity.
- Isle of Man Casino Control Commission – One final gambling jurisdiction where you are going to find the highest levels of integrity, fairness and opened is the Isle of Man Casino Control Commission who has been issuing online gambling licenses to companies based on the Isle of Man for many years now.
Other Gambling Jurisdictions
The following two gambling jurisdictions offer online gambling licenses and many of the sites holding their licenses do target Australian sports bettors, however you are afforded no real protection from them and as such should avoid betting at any site holding a gambling license from either the Government of Curacao or the Antigua Directorate of Offshore Gambling.